Ras El Hanout is a delightful, heady mix of flavours which often gives Moroccan dishes that authentic taste.
We are lucky to live in a region where good Moroccan food is commonplace, but why not try your hand at this mix, simple, easy and cheap to make, and yet off the scale when it comes to flavouring?
Use it as a rub for meat or fish, or add a few teaspooons to a tagine, stew or curry.
- 2 cardamon pods
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 heaped teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- Pinch of cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1. Lightly bash the cardamom pods in a pestle and mortar, shake out the seeds and discard the pods.
- 2. Grind and muddle in the remaining ingredients to form a fine powder.