Baker & Spice, the cool, healthy cafe, has launched Meat-free Mondays, and shared this easy veggie curry recipe with us. Packed with flavour, it’s a great dish to serve the family on a weekday.
The recipe calls for cubes of sweet potato to be sauteed in olive oil. In our experience, you’ll be there for hours trying to soften the sweet potato. Our suggestion is to boil, steam or microwave them for a few minutes before sauteeing to make them softer and easier to cook.
Preparation: 20 minutes
- Small aubergine – 100 grams
- Sweet potato cubes - 100 grams
- Red onion - 1 whole
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Curry leaves – 3 to 4 leaves
- Turmeric powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Paprika powder – 1 tablespoon
- Desiccated coconut – 50 grams
- Coconut milk - 200ml
- Fresh coriander leaves - 50 grams
- Toasted coconut flakes – 10 grams
- 1. Heat olive oil, add mustard seeds and curry leaves, once it starts spluttering add chopped red onion and sauté until translucent.
- 2. Add dry spice powder, desiccated coconut, coconut milk and a little water to adjust consistency,
- 3. Blend the curry in a blender until smooth. Keep the sauce mix warm until the next stage is complete.
- 4. Cut small aubergines in half and cook in a hot pan with olive oil until soft. Follow the same procedure for the sweet potato cubes.
- 5. Add the fried vegetables to the curry.
- 6. Garnish with a slice of lime, fresh coriander
- and toasted coconut flakes, as desired.
- 7. Enjoy with warm pita bread or rice, as desired.