Shortbread. Perfect with tea, great as an energising snack, and easy to make.
This recipe is so easy you could make it with the kids.
The addition of raw cacao gives this shortbread a rich chocolatey flavour, and heightens the energy boost. Raw cacao is even said to balance blood pressure and lower high cholesterol!
Swap the sugar for a healthier alternative – we used organic coconut palm sugar, and10 grammes less than the recipe recommends, as the palm sugar gives a strong, rich, almost toffee-like flavour.
Give this simple recipe a go, and enjoy one of the simplest things you can bake.
Preparation time: Less than 30 mins
Cooking time: 10-30 mins
Makes 20-24 shortbread pieces, depending on style and shape
- 125g/4oz butter
- 55g/2oz caster sugar, plus extra to finish, or alternative sweetener
- 180g/6oz plain flour
- 1 teaspoon raw cacao
- Beat the butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Stir in the flour and cacao to get a smooth paste.
- Turn on to a work surface and gently roll out until the paste is 1cm/½in thick.
- Cut into rounds or fingers and place onto a baking tray.
- Sprinkle with caster sugar and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. Set aside to cool on a wire rack.